Monday, March 5, 2007

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss (March 2nd)

Dr. Seuss was a smart man. I could give some long-winded explanation about how this whimsically illustrates what happens without the gospel, but it speaks for itself. From Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are:


Oh, the jobs people work at! Out west, near Hawtch-Hawtch,
there's a Hawtch-Hawtcher Bee-Watcher. His job is to watch...
is to keep both eyes on the lazy town bee.
A bee that is watched will work harder, you see.


Well...


He watched and he watched. But in spite of his watch,
that bee didn't work any harder. Not mawtch.
So then somebody said, "Our old bee-watching man
just isn't bee-watching as hard as he can.
He ought to be watched by another Hawtch-Hawtcher!
The thing that we need is a Bee-Watch-Watcher!"

WELL...


The Bee-Watch-Watcher watched the Bee-Watcher.
He didn't watch well. So another Hawtch-Hawtcher
had to come in as a Watch-Watcher-Watcher!
And today all the Hawtchers who live in Hawtch-Hawtch
are watching on Watch-Watcher-Watchering-Watch,
Watch-Watching the Watcher who's watching that bee.
You're not a Hawtch-Watcher. You're lucky, you see!



3 comments:

Flyawaynet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flyawaynet said...

I didn't realize it was his birthday until my nephew came home from school with a handmade/stapled/ colored Dr Seuss hat.
I'm not a huge Seuss fan (especially after banning the movie from my home) but I will forever enjoy reading Green Eggs and Ham to the kids.

Nate said...

In my school all the teachers were given big felt Dr. Seuss hats.

I just stumbled across this passage as one of my students was reading the book to me. Its relevance to reality took me right off guard.