Thursday, July 30, 2009

Here's What They Said

The determining factor of my existence is no longer my past. It is Christ's past. -Sinclair Ferguson


From this guy Michael Horton I've been hearing about on the blogosphere:
For Paul, such gifts are given immediately in Christ and worked out in the believer's life, while for many today as in every age, these gifts are the prize for the believer's success.

And:

A gospel that "works" for zealous perfectionists one moment merely creates
tomorrow’s disillusioned and spent supersaints.


How 'bout this from the Internet Monk archives(the rest of the post is quite gleeful as well):


Martin Luther would have beat up your prissy pastor and poured beer on him.

How 'bout Luther himself:


You are an advocate for these most barbarous soul-murderers, who fill the world with hypocrites, and with such as blaspheme God and hate him in their hearts, in order that they may restrain them from a little outward sin. As though there were no other way of restraining, which makes no hypocrites, and is wrought without any destroying of consciences.
Or this:


Let us equip ourselves against the accusations of Satan with this and similar passages of Holy Scripture. If he says, "Thou shalt be damned," you tell him: "No, for I fly to Christ who gave Himself for my sins. In accusing me of being a damnable sinner, you are cutting your own throat, Satan. You are reminding me of God's fatherly goodness toward me, that He so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. In calling me a sinner, Satan, you really comfort me above measure." With such heavenly cunning we are to meet the devil's craft and put from us the memory of sin.

No comments: