Sunday, April 11, 2010

Martin Luther Beats the Offering Plate Over My Head

As someone who's knee-jerk response to talk of tithes and offerings is to break out in hives and start frothing at the mouth, I think I benefited a little bit from this Martin Luther quote over at Christ Is Deeper Still:
“I understand that this is the week for the church collection, and many of you do not want to give a thing.  You ungrateful people should be ashamed of yourselves. . . . I am sorry I ever freed you from the tyrants and the papists.  You ungrateful beasts, you are not worthy of the treasure of the gospel.  If you don’t improve, I will stop preaching rather than cast pearls before swine.”

2 comments:

Erin Hope said...

you break out into hives too??!

:)-

having no pennies (or for that matter anything bigger than pennies) solves that problem....
but really, I wonder if tithing isn't more about just being willing to give everything (not just money, and not just 10%) to God (not necessarily church)out of trust and out of love, knowing that if He's creator, he can take care of us.

p.s. I also think this blog post should come with an illustration of the title. I feel a little cheated.

Nate said...

Very good perspective on giving!